Friday 9 October 2015

Natural Deodorant, Why Is It So Important?



It's no secret that I'm passionate about living a healthy life, and I try to do the right thing by my body in every way that I can. The common ways would be eating a healthy, nutritious diet, getting plenty of exercise, getting fresh air daily, and drinking plenty of water. However, people seem to neglect to use skincare and body care products that are non-toxic. I'm not going to pretend I'm all organic and only use 100% natural products, but I am taking steps to become more and more that way.






One of the changes I've made to my body care routine recently is switching from 'normal' deodorants, to an 100% natural one, and it's something I've now wanted to get everyone else onto as well.
It all started when I was watching one of Deliciously Ella's Q&A videos, where she stated how important it was to switch to natural deodorant. It interested me because I'd never even thought about it before. I am so passionate about not putting toxic food and drink into my body, but the products we use on the outside get absorbed into ourselves too...we seem to forget that.
I did some research on the current popular branded deodorants on the market, and learnt all about why it's so important to get them out of our daily routine.
It shocked me to learn just how dangerous, toxic and disgusting they are, and I knew without any hesitation that I had to make a change.

The deodorants on the market today that you'd find in your local supermarket or drugstore are full of chemicals that do undeniable damage to our bodies.
The main problem with them is that they contain aluminium, which sounds gross before I've even explained what this does to our bodies!
Aluminum is a sweat blocking ingredient, which essentially means it closes and clogs your pores with it's powerful salts. This interferes with the body's ability to regulate its own temperate and eliminate toxins. Sweating is actually a good, and healthy thing for our body's to do; it's a natural bodily function that we shouldn't tamper with. Fair enough if you don't want to sweat throughout the day, but did you know that once the anti-perspirant wears off the underarm glands actually start to sweat a lot more to compensate? Yuck!
Here comes the scary part (yes, it gets worse), Aluminium is a known neurotoxin. It's been linked to  breast cancer and Alzheimers Disease. Most breast cancer develops in the upper outer part of the breast - the part closest to your armpit - and research suggests that aluminium compounds absorbed by the skin cause changes in the oestrogen receptors in breast cells, in other words it is actually changing your cells....scary, right? In addition to this, high levels of aluminium have been found in the brains of people suffering with Alzheimer's Disease.

I don't even understand how this stuff is allowed to be sold, it's dangerous and potentially life threatening. But thankfully we have other options, and no, that doesn't mean you have to go deodorant free!
Body odour actually doesn't come from sweat, the problem is when it mixes with airborne bacteria. The solution is natural deodorant that kills the bacteria instantly, and they work better than I could ever have imagined.
I have to admit that I was skeptical, I didn't want to feel gross or be smelly, which I naively thought might happen, but firstly the body sweats way less than you'd think (unless you're doing intense exercise), and secondly the natural deodorant completely stops any smell at all. It works better than any other deodorant I've used, I find it fair less irritating and I love it. The little product also last a lot longer, so will end up saving me money. Win win!

I use the Salt Of The Earth deodorant, which is 100% natural, fragrance free, leaves no marks on clothing and is cheap too. There are loads of other brands on the market too, just steer clear of aluminium.

SHARE:

1 comment

  1. i love your blog you remind me of my friend; she love supporting brands that are all natural and is agnaist animal testing, you have an amazing blog by the way!

    ReplyDelete

© Amelia Rose . All rights reserved.
Blogger Templates made by pipdig